posted Oct 11, 2016, 9:23 AM by MPFPD Community Crisis Management
updated Oct 11, 2016, 9:24 AM
We came across this great page from PGE reminding us of how to deal with natural gas during emergency situations.
Gas safety tips
Safety is our highest priority. Follow these safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe.
- Never use a flashlight, match or candle to look for gas leaks, and never turn electric switches on or off if you suspect a gas leak.
- Do not store flammable materials such as mops, brooms, laundry and newspapers near your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Do not store combustible materials such as paints, solvents and gasoline in the same room as your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Stock your kitchen with a fire extinguisher.
- If a pilot light is out, shut off the gas at the appliance gas shutoff valve. Wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight the appliance pilot light.
- Keep an adjustable pipe or crescent wrench or other similar tool near your main shutoff valve so you don’t have to search for one in times of emergency.