A. To "be informed" means that you take steps to stay abreast of threats, locally, regionally, and nationally
AM and FM Radio. Refer to "Get a Kit" to be sure you have a battery operated (with extra batteries, solar, or crank charging) portable AM/FM radio available. Your car radio is another option, assuming your car is safely accesible.
Television. (note, power and cable tv lines may be down, you'd need a battery operated TV or generator, plus an antenna)
- Web, automated phone calls, SMS, and email systems
- KTVU, Channel 2
- KRON, Channel 4
- KPIX, Channel 5
- KGO, Channel 7
- KNTV, Channel 11
- KICU, Channel 36
- KTEH, Channel 54
B. To be informed means that you take steps to let others know of your well-being.
- If safe, place a sign on your home's front window or door indicating your status, such as SAFE or HELP.
- Have an out-of-area contact that you can call to let them know your status, and be sure family friends know to contact that person.
- Use the Red Cross Self and Well website to inform people of your status.
- Report to your local fire station for further advice, message boards, etc.
C. To be informed means that you are aware of your surroundings.